THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEMP OIL AND CBD OIL
The difference between Hemp oil and CBD Oil
One health trend that has arrived for sure is ‘Hemp oil’ obtained from pressing hemp seeds. It has a nutty flavour and is free of THC (the psychoactive element in cannabis). It has marginal amounts of CBD (cannabinoids). It has many benefits and has been a part of my regimen for a while now.
Here are some benefits:
- Contains essential fatty acids DHA, required for brain development and moods.
- Has a perfect ratio of omega 6 to omega 3; a balance achieved between these two is essential which helps avert inflammation and keeps your cardiovascular health in-check.
- Rich in GLA (gamma-linoleic acid-omega 6 fatty acid); which balances women’s hormones and abates PMS.
- Helps with skin dryness and other issues when used topically.
- Best of all promotes healthy flora in the gut, thereby supporting immunity.
- Super for cooking with its nutty flavour and loaded with nutrients.
The difference between CBD oil and Hemp oil-
While I am at it, I might as well enlighten you on the difference between these two. The difference is that they come from different parts of the cannabis plant. Hemp oil is extracted from the seeds. Marijuana contains both THC (the psychoactive element of the plant, that which makes you high + CBD — Cannabidiol or cannabinoids (CBD) which is a chemical occurring in cannabis plants that does not make you high; not psychoactive. CBD oil comes from the buds, leaves and stalks of the cannabis plant.
CBD is also sold medicinally and has been known to help the body combat inflammation, proven effective against epilepsy, is anti-cancer, helps with anxiety, acne, diabetes.
Each of these oils has its unique contents and abilities to keep you strong in different ways.
My encounter with CBD Oil
My encounter with CBD oil and using it for my clients came about when I was dealing with a lung cancer client and her daughter had discovered how effective CBD oil was for her mother; in keeping her pain condition down and generally keeping her handling her cancer recovery well.
I started using it on my mother, who had a lot of leg pains for no apparent reason (ageing, I suppose with a little exercise in her life) and it benefitted her immensely. Since then, I have been researching it and using it with some of my clients.
There has been a great awareness in the last 5 years on anything to do with the cannabis Sativa plant. Cannabis (referred to as marijuana) and hemp are two varieties of the same plant. However, there is a lot of confusion surrounding them.
Cannabis has medicinal and therapeutic uses for pain, mental health and illnesses; and is now legal in many states in the US. The hemp plant itself can be used to make clothing, paper, rope, fuel and much more. Its seeds are cold-pressed for oil, which can be used for cooking and many products (beauty-related). ‘Hemp oil’ is obtained from pressing hemp seeds and it has a nutty flavour; it is free of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol – the psychoactive element in cannabis). It has marginal amounts of CBD (cannabinoids). It has many benefits and has been a part of my regimen for a while now; I use it mostly for my skin.
How to buy CBD oil
While I do come from the ‘alternative’ health tradition, do keep these factors in mind when busying CBD oil.
- You must know the QUALITY, the FDA (US body that regulates foods, of course, India has no such body that does it yet, so most marketers will use the FSSAI license and sell it so BEWARE. India has no such structured protocol as yet, so please buy these products with caution).
- Almost 45% of products made with CBD oil contain very little CBD but are marketed as CBD products, about 20% contain a lot of CBD.
- REMEMBER it’s not absorbed well orally, more-better absorbed rectally. Of course, only an experienced Health Practitioner must recommend this for use in disease.
- Known for helping with EPILEPSY, a person on Epileptic drugs should taper down the dose of their drugs if taking CBD as well (consult your healthcare practitioner).
- Sometimes it does impact increased LIVER ENZYMES.
- Do not DRIVE after consuming CBD.
- The FDA has not approved any CBD oil products for the treatment of depression or anxiety.
- CBD will make it harder if your agenda is to stay awake, as it may cause DROWSINESS.
- Cannabidiol is an arena not yet researched well, however it does work in many health conditions. As health conditions/ailments vary, different people require DIFFERENT TREATMENT PROTOCOLS. As cannabidiol works with your endocannabinoid system. It usually starts with a trial and error method, till the dosage required for you fits. So please be under a healthcare practitioner when using CBD oil.
- Choose ORGANIC CBD, of low concentration, and increase till you find a level that works for you.
Caution: Please have your health practitioner recommend CBD oil.