5 ANTI-CANCER FOODS TO ADD TO YOUR CANCER DIET
Macrobiotics has been known to be a cancer diet in-fact that was it was christened in the early 70’s in the US. Using food as medicine has been the cornerstone of the macrobiotic approach. I myself was drawn to the diet because my father had prostate cancer stage IV and I used this diet to help him stay healthy during his living years.
So here is what I think you should be including in your diet to fight cancer –
- Brown rice – there is no other healing food that a robust whole grain and brown rice should be the mother of all your whole grains. Brown rice has all the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants (about 70 anti-cancer, anti-aging) that are required by the human body to maintain optimal health. Rich in CoQ10 it facilitates the transformation of fats and sugars into energy, which makes it great to combat cancer. It also has alpha lipoic acid, which helps with liver rejuvenation. Rice bran, when fermented boosts all internal organs, especially the thymus, adrenals and thyroid.
- Broccoli – comes from the brassica family also referred to as cruciferous vegetables. It contains glucoraphanin (antioxidant) and indole-3-carbinol, which have been known to reduce the risk of many cancers. Best eaten raw or lightly steamed as, the phytochemicals are heat-sensitive.
- Berries – Specially, berries that are black like raspberries, blueberries, cranberries, strawberries and the Indian jamun. Which have been known to stop what we call cellular-suicide (apoptosis) its used to describe the balance between cell death and cell renewal; berries help this process by eliminating cells that are no longer wanted or functioning.
- Soursop Fruit- I got introduced to this fruit very early in my cancer-fighting career. It is being cultivated in parts of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerela. It is rich in vitamin B and C, magnesium, phosphorus and iron. It has been known to prevent infections, control inflammation and also help the digestive system. Rich in a chemotherapeutic compound called acetogenins; and research points to the fact that these substances are capable of destroying cancer tumours.
- Shiitake Mushroom – When my father had cancer, we gave him a blend of rice brand shiitake mushrooms, as a supplement. Why I so believe in the wonder of the mushroom are many: Lentinan, a polysaccharide extracted from shiitake, may help to extend the lives of a cancer patient. I used it in conjunction with chemotherapy in my father. Lentinan is not known to kill cancer cells, but enhance the immunity, thereby increasing the chances of the T and B cells to fight cancer cells.
Just remember, you must look after your entire diet!