BOOST IMMUNITY WITH THIS PROBIOTIC BEVERAGE
Boost immunity with this probiotic beverage
Since we are on the subject of protecting ourselves from the coronavirus, and boosting immunity. Let’s try and include a healthy probiotic beverage that is rooted in our Indian tradition and we do not use enough of it. Here is a traditional beetroot kanji recipes for all of you to fortify yourselves in these turbulent times, of uncertainty and what you can do to work through it with food.
- 8 cups Water
- 1 1/4 tbsp Mustard or rai powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black salt (kala namak) optional
- Pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- Beetroot ½ kg
- Boil 8 cups of water. When the water boils, remove pan from fire and let it cool.
- In a pitcher or jar with a lid, add all of the ingredients in the water and mix well.
- Add Carrots or Beets.
- Keep the pitcher in the sun for 2-4 days, make sure to stir it once or twice daily.
- After 2-4 days when it turns sour, it can be kept in the refrigerator and used as required.
- Serve chilled. Carrots and Beets can be eaten.
- Kanji remains fresh for up to 2 week in refrigerator.
Recommended daily intake: 1/2 – 1 cup a day
Treats blood sugar levels – great for type 2 diabetics (acts as a hypoglycemic agent) boosting immunity – Fights free radical damage, purifies blood.
Recipe 2: Use ½ a gram (or juice as above)+ amla (2 juiced) regularly thi concoction can reduce constipation.