MACROBIOTIC VEGAN X’MAS PLUM CAKE
Dates – 3 cups
Raisins- 2 cups
Cherries – 2 cups
Broken Nuts-2 cups
Orange & Lemon Peel- 1/2 cupBrandy or Rum – 1/2 cup
Chop the fruits fine.Soak them in the rum along with nuts and peels and keep in an air tight container for a week.
Wheat flour if Gluten intolerant then Jovar flour mixed with tapioca starch (50-50% of each)– 2 cups
Coconut Sugar – 3 cups (1 cup for caramalizing the sugar)
Ghee– 250 gms
Baking powder – 2 tsp
Vegan Egg substitute for 6 eggs (for those who have eggs use 6)
Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
Rock Salt – a pinchPowdered Spices – 3 tsp (Cardamom,Cloves,Cinnamon,
Orange juice – 2 tbsp
- Caramelize 1 cup of Coconut Sugar. It can be done by heating a medium sauce pan with 1 cup of sugar and 1 tbsp of water. Stir in continuously and use only medium heat. The sugar will melt first, then gradually becomes a molten syrup.As it gets hotter, it’ll turn into a dark colored caramel syrup. Now slowly add 1/2 cup of water and stir well immediately before it crystalizes back. (Be careful while doing it, for it can splash and may cause severe burns.).Stir it well to dissolve completely and allow it to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Sift the baking powder and flour well,2 or 3 times.
- Now mix the powdered spices and the soaked fruits to the flour. Mix well with a spatula and keep aside.
- Beat ghee and coconut sugar till light and fluffy.
- Now add the egg replacer to the beaten sugar ghee mixture with a teaspoon of flour. Beat well.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the cooled caramel and fold in. Remember do not whisk, this can break the fruits.
- Lastly add vanilla essence, orange juice and 1 tsp of brandy. Mix everything well using a wooden spatula preferably to one side.
- Pour it into a lined baking pan. (Lined with parchment paper or brown paper).
- Bake it in the oven for 45 minutes at 180 degree celsius.
- Check by inserting a toothpick and if it comes out clean, the cake is done. If its not done reduce the heat to 150 C and bake for another 10- 15 minutes or until done.
- When the cake is baked, remove and immediately sprinkle 1 tbsp of brandy over it. This can enhance the flavour and increases its life span.
- Let it cool.C ut it and serve
- If storing, remember to keep it in refrigerator in an air tight container.