Sweet Potato Benefits
I give sweet potato a lot to my clients – for one it tastes great. But also, it has a myriad of benefits. Because they are a good carb and sweet they make for a great snack to better your moods.
- They are high on fiber, they promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Rich in vitamin A (critical for immune function and skin repair), C, B6, and trace minerals: copper, niacin, potassium, manganese, beta carotene (supporting vision and pantothenic acid).
- They protect you against free radical damage, because they are rich in antioxidants. Purple sweet potatoes (what we Indians call Jimmy kandh) supports brain function due to high anthocyanins (antioxidant found in foods with dark pigments).
Here is the recipe for chips in the picture –
- Wash the sweet potatoes, scrub skin with a hard brush
- I leave skin on
- Slice fine
- In a bowl add some olive oil, salt and red chilli powder, toss the sweet potato in and let the pieces get coated well
- Line a baking tray
- Bake at 175 degrees Celsius for half hour, watching them from time-to-time
I also use them in chips (baked), chaat (Indian masala street food use them steamed), sprout salads (cut small), rolls, cutlets and to thicken my soups or gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, spiralized in pasta, slice a bit thick, then bake and top it with your favourite like salsa or guacamole.