Why has the ‘fasting’ buzz taken over our health journeys today? You’ve heard about the benefits from losing weight, to re-setting you blood glucose levels and boosting your immune system. FMD follows the principles of fasting, in that you deprive your body of calories.
How does FMD work?
- Instead of eliminating all food for a set period of days or weeks, you restrict calories for 5 days of the month – can be done once a month
- During day 1 calories get restricted to 1100 and the remaining 4 days to 800 calories
- What you eat and their ratios is important: e.g., In 1100 calories – 34% (47% on 800 calorie days) should be carbs, 10% (9% on 800 calorie days) protein and 56% (44% on 800 calorie days) from fat
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine
- Do not do vigorous exercise during these 5 days
- Better done in warmer weather
Benefits of The Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD)
- Will lower your cholesterol
- Brings down inflammation
- Will fix the insulin problem (over time)
- Improves the performance of your brain
The Indian tradition has proven the benefits of fasting over centuries, as does science in a study (with a limited sample size only 100 people). The FMD group did experience weight loss, drop in blood sugar levels, reduced inflammation and also cancer markers.
NOTE: Some pitfalls, so please work with a health practitioner and create positive attitude and thoughts if you are going to do it.