World Mental Health Day
At the ouset, let’s all just be happy we have reached this far, it’s been six months of the pandemic and every one of us has been through our own personal battles. The art of being happy, and beating depression or any anxiety is to be in the ‘now.’ Easier said than done, but very possible. Being a Vipassana meditator for 24 years now, the one technique I can leave you with today is ‘Anapana’ meditation. While it is demonstrated in the above video, here are the instructions on how to do it.
- Sit in a comfortable position, a chair or cross-legged.
- The spine should be up-right and straight.
- Close your eyes.
- Bring your attention to the part below the nostrils and above the upper lip.
- Now observe the incoming and outgoing breath here, just on this part of the body.
- You will have thoughts, and maybe a million things will be racing through your mind, but keep bringing your attention to the breath.
- The incoming breath and the outgoing breath, only on this part.
- Your mind will start quietening down.
- Start with 5 minutes daily and then increase slowly to 15 minutes. Do it anytime of the day.
- Become an observer to this process.